||Working With and Within a Correctional Setting
- Katie Kramer and Barry Zack, Adapting DEBIs (and other Effective Public Health Interventions) for the Correctional Setting. Talk presented at the United States Conference on AIDS, San Francisco, CA, October 2009.
- Barry Zack and Katie Kramer, What is the role of prisons and jails in HIV prevention? Fact Sheet 13R. Center for AIDS Prevention Studies and the AIDS Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco. March 2009.
- Zack, B., Breaking into Prisons to Provide Comprehensive Integrated Services. National HIV Prevention Conference. Atlanta, June, 2005.
- Kramer, K. Building Effective Collaborations with Correctional Facilities. Presented at the Semi-Annual Correctional Demonstration Project Grantees Meetings. Washington, D.C. July 2004.
- Zack, B., Myers, J., Bobrick, A., Control of HIV/AIDS in prisons/jails; the international experience and role of non-government organizations as collaborative partners. The XV International AIDS Conference, 2004 Oral Presentation Abstract no. WeOrE1295. 2004 Jul 14.
- Kramer, K.; Inmate Peer Health Education: The Role of Community-Based Organizations. Presented at the 25th National Conference on Correctional Health Care. Albuquerque, NM, November 2001.
Children and Families Impacted by Incarceration
- Zack, B., A Missed Opportunity: The Prisoner Visitor as a Link between the Prison and the Family. National Institute of Mental Health Annual International Research Conference on the Role of Families in Preventing and Adapting to HIV/AIDS, Atlanta, GA July, 2004.
- Kramer, K. The Children Left Behind: Special Considerations of Working with Children of Incarcerated Parents. Presented at the 2nd Annual California Corrections Initiative/CBO Meeting. Long Beach, CA, April 2003.
- Breen, P.; Kramer, K.; From Incarceration Through Family Reunification. Presented at the International Community Corrections Association’s 37th Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA, September, 2001.
- Grinstead, O, Faigeles, B, Bancroft C, and Zack, B. The Financial Cost of Prison Visiting: A Survey of Women Visitors to A State Prison. Journal of African-American Men, 2001, 6(1), 59-70.
- Kramer, K. “The Children Left Behind: Children of Incarcerated Parents.” Perspectives. San Francisco, CA: KQED Radio, February 2, 1999.
Health Disparities in Correctional Settings
- Zack, B. Addressing the Need for HIV Prevention Programs for Prioritized Communities; HIV Prevention Needs of Correctional Populations. 2008 National Summit on HIV Diagnosis, Prevention and Access to Care; Forum for Collaborative Research. November 19-21, 2008, Washington D.C.
- Zack, B. and Kramer, K. HIV Prevention Education In Correctional Settings; A Think Piece for Project Unshackle, Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP) May, 2008.
- MacGowan, R., Eldridge, G., Sosman, J., Khan, R., Flanigan, T., Zack, B., Margolis, A., Askew, J., and Fitzgerald and the Project START Study Group. HIV Counseling and Testing of Young Men in Prison, Journal of Correctional Health Care, 2006, 12: 203-213.
- Zack, B., Miguelino, V., Ruiz, J., Fierro, X., Kramer, K., Arce, V. HIV, HBV and HCV Prevalence and Incidence and Associated Risk Behaviors among Inmates Entering the California Correctional System at San Quentin State Prison, 2003 National HIV Prevention Conference; Poster: Abstract TO-051 Atlanta, Georgia, July 2003.
- Kramer, K. and Gardner, M. Preventing the Spread of HIV/AIDS in Prisons: A Special Focus on Africa. Presented on Dialogue, a weekly television program for United States Embassies worldwide. United States State Department, August 2003.
- Kramer, K.; Beck, P.; White, C.; Merical, H. Facing HCV Issues in a Prison Setting. Presented at the 5th International Hepatitis Conference: Hepatitis C on the Front Line of Community Health. San Francisco, CA, August 2001.
Transitions from Corrections to the Community
- Zack, B., and Kramer, K., Linking Re-Entry Planning to Community-Based Correctional Care, Issue Brief, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, February 2009.
- Grinstead, O., Eldridge, G., MacGowan, R., Morrow, K., Seal, D., Sosman, J., Zack, B., and the Project START Study Group. An HIV, STD and Hepatitis Prevention Program for Young Men Leaving Prison: Project START. Journal of Correctional Health Care, 14:3 183-196 July 2008.
- Zack, B., Overdose Upon Release from Prison; Los Angeles Overdose Prevention Summit, March, 2006.
- Wolitski, R. and the Project START Writing Group, for the Project START Study Group. Research and Practice: Relative Efficacy of the Multisession Sexual Risk-Reduction Intervention for Young Men Released from Prisons in 4 States. American Journal of Public Health 1854-1861 Vol 96, No 10; October 2006. [**Zack, Co-Principal Investigator (PI) and Kramer, Project Director of California site].
- Zack, B., Myers, J., Kramer, K., and Gardner, M. Housing is Associated with Better Outcomes among Individuals Transitioning from Prison Setting to the Community. The XV International AIDS Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004 Poster Abstract no. ThPeC7478. 2004 Jul 15.
- Gardner, M., Zack, B., Kramer, K., and Vandenberg, G. Corrections to the Community: A Prison Perspective for HIV+ Offenders. Poster Presentation at the International AIDS Conference. Barcelona, Spain, July, 2002.
Research & Policy
- Kramer, K. Translating Effective Intervention and Research Practices for Correctional Settings. Talk presented at the 2009 National HIV Prevention Conference, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, August 2009.
- Zack, B. Criminal Justice-Involved Population: Data Collection and Data Needs, What Do We Know and How Do We Know it? Methamphetamine: The National Summit to Promote Public Health, Partnerships, and Safety for Critically Affected Populations. November 16-19, 2008. Washington D.C.
- Zack, B., Atkins, H., Rich, J., and Bardeen, D., Congressional Briefing: HIV In Correctional Settings: Implications for Prevention and Treatment Policy, amFAR, Washington DC, April 2008.
- Zack, B., Keynote Address: HIV and the Incarcerated. Annual Funder Partnership Meeting. National AIDS Fund. Memphis, TN, April, 2007.
- Ethical Considerations for Research Involving Prisoners, Committee on Ethical Considerations for Revisions to DHHS Regulations for Protection of Prisoners Involved in Research, Board on Health Sciences Policy, Lawrence O. Gostin, Cori Vanchieri, and Andrew Pope, Editors, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, The National Academies Press Washington, D.C. 2006 (Zack, B., Committee Member).
- Zack, B., Infectious Diseases in Correctional Facilities: Focus on Prevention. National Conference on Correctional Health Care. Atlanta, GA, October, 2006.
- Zack B., and the Project START Study Group. The Unique Challenges of Prison Research: Getting to Feasible. National HIV Prevention Conference: Atlanta, Georgia, August 2001. Abstract 404.
- Kramer, K., and Zack, B. Project START: An HIV/STI/hepatitis risk reduction program for people returning to the community after incarceration. Implementation Manual and Training of Facilitators Curriculum. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, cooperative agreement #1-U65-PS-000231-01. November 2008.
- Kramer, K., Zack, B., Heft, L., World Health Communications: Reach One/Teach One: A Prison Peer Health Education Training Program. Glaxo Wellcome, 2000.